Determine if layer is point text or paragraph text?

I need to determine if a layer is point text or paragraph text. I can’t find a layer property in UXP for this.

With extendscript, layer.textItem.kind would return where it was point or paragraph.

Does anyone know of a way to get this info with UXP?

By paragraph, do you mean a text that has a box around it?
You can check for the textKey.textShape[0].bounds property I think, this one does not exist for text without any box limitation.

Awesome, thanks. Yes, I am referring to the paragraph bounding box. I will test it out later tonight.

You are correct about textKey.textShape[0].bounds being missing when the layer is point text. Also, I found under textShape where the property is stored. Under textKey.textShape[0].char._value it will return “box” for paragraph text mode and “paint” for point text mode… I’m assuming “paint” is actually “point” and they share the same 4 character string.

Anyway, I am posting the working function here in case someone needs it down the road. This function will return true if the activate layer is a paragraph text layer. It returns false if the active layer is a point text layer or is not a text layer.

async function isParagraphText(){

const result = await batchPlay(
[
   {
      "_obj": "get",
      "_target": [
         {
            "_property": "textKey"
         },
        {
            "_ref": "layer",
            "_enum": "ordinal",
            "_value": "targetEnum"
        },
        {
            "_ref": "document",
            "_enum": "ordinal",
            "_value": "targetEnum"
        }
      ],
      "_options": {
         "dialogOptions": "dontDisplay"
      }
   }
],{
   "synchronousExecution": false,
   "modalBehavior": "fail"
});

let paragraphText=false;

try{  
if(result[0].textKey.textShape[0].char._value=="box"){paragraphText=true}
}
catch(e){}    

//returns true if active layer is paragraph text
//returns false if activate layer is point text or is not a text layer   

return paragraphText; 

}

Ah okay, even better then, that there’s a property specifically for the text mode. I just quickly scanned the differences and the bounds property was the first thing to jump into my eye.

Yep, there are many places where it’s paint instead of point.