getFolder without folder picker

I’m using File → Generate → Image Assets and I want to access “[filename]-assets” folder without any folder picker to rename images.
Can I do that? I have path in a variable but I have no idea whats next.

No; outside of the plugin-data:// or plugin-temp:// folder, you have to display a picker so that the user (& OS) grants access to the folder to you. UXP does not permit system-wide file access w/o user interaction.

Once you have a folder, you have access recursievly and can use getEntry(path) to access entries within, but the user has to be involved in the initial step of picking a folder.

Once you have asked the user, you can save the entry with a persistent token so that you don’t have to ask again, however. See https://www.adobe.io/photoshop/uxp/uxp/reference-js/Modules/uxp/Persistent%20File%20Storage/FileSystemProvider/#createpersistenttokenentry

Is there any plan to allow special permissions for plugins intended solely for enterprise distribution? I’m going to have a large of very annoyed artists if every one of our pipeline tools starts requesting access tokens to all the endpoints where we have to pick up / deliver files.

2 Likes

Yes exactly. I have seen a suggestion from Adobe that devs could get trusted and optionally sign plugins to get more permissions automatically. This was just a suggestion. Nothing promised.