How to select layer with only ID?

I have a function to select a layer inserted in the function as the argument, however, this takes the layer name and ID to select the layer, the problem is that if I have two or more layers with the same name, the function always select the same layer, even if I insert another layer inside that has the same name:

async function selectLayer(l) {
        await batchPlay(
            [
                {
                    _obj: "select",
                    "_target": [
                        {
                            "_ref": "layer",
                            "_name": l.name
                        }
                    ],
                    makeVisible: false,
                    layerID: [l.id],
                    _options: {
                        dialogOptions: "dontDisplay"
                    }
                }
            ], {});
    }

How could I select a layer by only the ID? Is it possible? As the Id is unique to the layer inside the document I think this would be a better solution for my problem.

Thanks!

It totally is possible. Actually in my humble opinion you should avoid selecting by name for the reason that you just stated: names are not necessarily unique. You can always get a layer’s ID from the layer’s properties. You then specify that id as _id instead of _name, i.e:

"_target":[
    { _ref: "layer", _id: l.id}
],

As a side node, in my plugins I typically also specify the layer’s document for all functions that use batchPlay and operate on a layer. In my experience this makes it more robust when dealing with multiple open documents in the same session:

"_target":[
    { _ref: "layer", _id: l.id},
    { _ref: 'document', _id: l.document.id }
],
...```
2 Likes

Some actions support additional document reference and some do not. If they don’t you have to still activate the document explicitly.

1 Like

Thank you very much man, that does the work, so easy thank you!!

It is great to now these kind of additional stuff, thank you Jarda!