I’m a programmer and an artist. I really interesting about developing extensions for PS to improve productivity of my artworks.
I’m using my own developed CEP panels, filter plugins(C++ with C#) and Extend Scripts.
But, I think there is not ultimate way to develop an extension for PS yet. Each thing lack other things features.
- Read/write the pixels to all layers. Only filter plugins can write the pixels but it is allowed for one layer.
- Preview/update canvas in real time such like built-in filters. The filter plugin must be a modal and the API design only considered single threaded. Additionally, cannot execute actions on the way.
- Load platform native module. Only filter plugin allowed. As I know, the UXP planning to support opening the filter plugin. It should also support calling common native module to improve performance and extendibility.
- Shortcut support. Not just opening a panel or dialog, mapping in the preference and callback a function.
- Calling actions faster. Finally, UXP considering about it.
- Open and share your sources. Your extend script’s standard APIs are pretty simple and easy to use but it is really slow in some cases such like trip layer tree. Therefore I have to re-write basic APIs by
ActionDescriptors with copy/paste script listener’s output. And I wonder that ‘How can I write AD code that works exactly same with standard API does?’. But I couldn’t find any of clear/official sources.