Show selection / highlight tooltip for UXP

I have a use case where I would like to show or tell the user that they need to do something with a specific element on the artboard. My plugin depends on a “Show you information about the node I’m talking about” type of feature. It’s not quite the same as the selection feature for a few reasons I can list upon request.

Use Case:
Glen is creating a guide for his students in his Introduction to Adobe XD course Room 101. He has created an artboard and he has a plugin that walks through different elements. Using his panel a user clicks on an item and on the design view a tooltip appears next to an element.

In the first case, he clicks a button in the panel and tool tip appears over the rectangle. He then clicks another button and tool tip appears next to some text on the artboard. (I’ll post images soon).

3 Likes

You could create a “tool tip”-appearing text item next to the element in question and then remove it next time the user does something in your panel. A bit clumsy.

It’s crossed my mind but there are a few issues. If the user doesn’t have anything selected or an artboard selected then it could work.

But if the user has an item selected on the artboard I can only add a new item as a sibling or child due to edit permissions. If the user has an item selected that’s using a horizontal or vertical stack layout then it would have auto layout applied and mess up the row or column layout.

In some of the Adobe XD panels there’s a help icon. Clicking on it opens a pop up dialog.

It might need to be something like that.