Getting Started in Adobe development

Hi I am just getting started in learning to program to the Photoshop API. To give some contexts let me give a little bit of background: I do have a Computer Science background (from quite a while ago). I have worked in the computer programing world as both a developer and manager. I have touched on many of the new development environments but most of my hands on has been in the older traditional program environments (I have used languages such as Java, C++, Smalltalk, and even Fortran). I have also done some basic web development. I have also wrote a couple of extend scripts for photoshop. I am currently retired but do some photography, art and other creative things to keep me busy.
Now for my question: How do I get started to write plugins or Apps to enhance some of my photoshop editing tasks. I am somewhat confused on where to start. I am somewhat confused when I do a search and see the different resources out there. Some seem to be older, on the way out, and replaced by others. From what I can gather the Adobe Developer platform and UXP seem to be the latest tools used for this. Some questions how UXP and the Adobe Developer platform are related? Is there a good explanation that clarifies all the different technologies used for adobe development and how they relate? Where do I get started to write my code for my first photoshop panel which will have buttons to activate scripts I have written? Where do I find good tutorials or workshops for beginners?
Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help.
Bill

1 Like

Welcome! I recommend this series from @DavideBarranca. Some minor things have changed but it’s a very good introduction to UXP.

Thanks,
I will take a look at it. I have downloaded the UXP toolkit and with Visual Studio code I am working my way through my first plugin. Its looking pretty straight forward but I am sure I will have questions along the way on specifics. My main question thus far is how developing A UXP plugin relates to the use of the adobe developer Console. Looks like the development can be done without the console, so I am not sure where that fits in.

I am currently developing a plugin for InDesign and I haven’t interacted with the developer console at all. I think it’s more of a developer hub for Adobe to showcase their developer tools.