Can a UXP plugin call a recorded action that invokes a third party plugin?

I would like to add a feature to my plugin that will show a list of actions available and run a chosen action as part of a batch workflow (my plugin iterates over a number of images, alters them, and saves the results in a new folder).

Everything works fine when the action makes changes to the active Ps document, but if the action is a recorded playback of another plugin nothing happens:

My Plugin > Action > Recorded playback of Ps active document changes: Success
My Plugin > Action > Recorded playback of a third party plugin: Nothing

Doesn’t matter if the my plugin wraps the call of the recorded action in executeAsModal or not. No error message and nothing happens. I can manually play the action and the third party plugin is invoked just as was recorded, but my plugin calling that action does nothing.

I have also tried capturing the batchPlay script that results when executing a third party plugin. Nothing happens and no errors with or without wrapping executeAsModal.

Seems like this could very much be on purpose so that one plugin can’t call another plugin outside of the official Inter Plugin Communication being configured. Is that right, or am I missing something?

I feel like I saw a post about this once. Try making an action that plays your problem action and see if that makes a difference. I think I saw some kind of workaround like that mentioned.

Instead of YOUR PLUGIN plays ACTON WITH ANOTHER PLUGIN
try
YOUR PLUGIN plays LAUNCHER ACTION that plays ACTON WITH ANOTHER PLUGIN

This worked for JSX scripts. Probably still does

I don’t know what “Launcher Action” is. Is that a JSX that does batchPlay of the recorded action?

This might have been discussed in this thread: Action recording for UXP plugins - #13 by AnthonyK