Is it possible to create a UI kit through a plugin?

My company is interested in integrating our design system into Adobe XD. We have Angular components (using Angular Material/material design) that we’d like to match design assets that our UX designers are using to design wireframes.

We’d like to scrape our own design system and turn each code component into a design asset, and push those into XD. We did a small prototype and determined that we could do this through a plugin, but the experience through the plugin is different than what designers are accustomed to if they imported a UI kit that was created/exported/shared through XD.

I’m curious if it’s possible to “create a UI kit programatically that is based on my actual code components”, either through the plugin APIs, or some other way? (I’m less concerned about the possibility of converting my own Angular components into a format that I could parse into the XD format, and more concerned whether I’m able to get past that point and into the Adobe ecosystem).

1 Like

but the experience through the plugin is different than what designers are accustomed to if they imported a UI kit that was created/exported/shared through XD

Could you tell us more about what aspects of the experience are different that you’d like to change?

Note that plugins currently can’t create new Components that appear in the Assets panel – please upvote Create Symbol if you need that. But you can import content as a plain Group onto the artboard (e.g. to create a sticker sheet), and you can add colors & text styles to the Assets panel.

1 Like