Q: How to collect UPIA log? And where to report?

Hi,

I have Photoshop UXP installer issue on Mac to report bug.

Q1: How to collect detail log on UPIA?
Q2: Where would be the best place to file bug report?
(I’m in Prerelease User Community as well.)

It might be similar to following bug, but it seems different scenario.

Thank you,
Naoki

Hi @NaokiHada_Logitech,

1. You can collect logs on UPIA the same way you collect logs for ExManCmd: Find solutions for installation issues with Creative Cloud app extensions and plugins
  2. The best place to file bug reports for installers is here: https://jira.corp.adobe.com/browse/EXCH-4205457

Hope this helps.

Best,
Amanda

1 Like

Hi @amandah ,

Thank you very much for the answers.

-Naoki

Hi @amandah,
The second link for bug report seems not accessible.
Could you provide other place or how to access the page?

Thank you,
Naoki

This Jira link has been posted here several times, but I assume it’s only accessible on Adobes intranet or via private VPN, because it never worked for others outside of Adobe

1 Like

That makes sense – it is gated behind VPN, sorry for missing that. Feel free to send me the feedback and I can pass it along to the right people while I figure out the best channel for reporting bugs in the future.

1 Like

@NaokiHada_Logitech, Creative Cloud desktop app 5.9 is out now, with a new version of UPIA. Please try it and let us know… also @gregbenz, who posted in the Photoshop prerelease, keep us up to date on how it’s going.

I hope to write something soon, about the new UPIA features and workarounds, for the blog and newsletter.

Sorry, @amandah, we have to file JIRA EXCH bugs on behalf of those outside Adobe… at least for now.

The Community forums do have a way to get bugs passed through to Photoshop’s JIRA, but that’s a different JIRA board than the one used for UPIA (or the Creative Cloud desktop app, commonly internally called CCD).

1 Like

@Erin_Finnegan which issue would this address? I’ve logged a few things. Most recently, the need to restart CCD to install more than one CCX file locally (subsequent double click causes no response from CCD).

@Erin_Finnegan Is there a way to force CCD to update? I’m still seeing v5.8 even after clicking to check for updates, restarting the computer, and checking for updates again.

According to Release notes for the Adobe Creative Cloud desktop app

When you relaunch the Creative Cloud desktop app, you’ll be prompted to update it. If you do not relaunch the app, you’ll get an update notification in 24 hours. Click Update to download and install the latest version, and then relaunch the app.

I’m also still on v5.8. It may take some time to roll out.

Now it updated for me after I logged out of CCD and logged back in.

I just quit and restarted CCD and clicked “check for updates” and saw nothing.
Then I restarted the computer and this time got an update.

@Erin_Finnegan Is there an opportunity here for CCD to be able to update itself when clicking “check for updates” without requiring a restart or logout/login?

I’ll keep an eye on general performance. Please let me know if there is any specific issue I should be keeping an eye on.

On a related note, when UPIA fails, it’s very hard to see why unless you go to the trouble of running it via the command line. Is there a way for CCD to help show UPIA’s logs? That would be helpful for troubleshooting various issues where UPIA won’t launch, gets stuck, etc.

Hi @Erin_Finnegan Thank you for the update. I’ll check my account CCD get updated.

As I check last night and this morning, my account CCD is still 5.8 after logout and logon again. I think I heard it takes some times get all account to be deployed. So I’ll wait and test when CCD gets updated.

I think UPIA log location is following:

Mac: ~/Library/Logs/CreativeCloud/ACC/ACC.log

Win: C:\Users{user_name}\AppData\Local\Temp\CreativeCloud\ACC\ACC.log
or %LocalAppData%\Temp\CreativeCloud\ACC\ACC.log

Logging setting may need to be done: Find solutions for installation issues with Creative Cloud app extensions and plugins

@Erin_Finnegan Is there an opportunity here for CCD to be able to update itself when clicking “check for updates” without requiring a restart or logout/login?

Having to logout or restart to see updates does not sound like expected behavior… it’s not my experience… I’ll ask that team.

Vlad was complaining about this too via Slack:

No, I would like to have the option to update available. Currently, no matter when I click the “Check for updates” button, there is never any update available for my installed apps (except for XD - that seems to be working fine). I’m guessing it’s something related to the cursed profiles stuff.

And Brett:

A shaman… I regularly need to go through step 5 to get updates:
Available updates not listed for Adobe Creative Cloud apps.

In the case of lightroom classic, I recently had to remove and the reinstall.

I’ve had to remove the OPM.db file so often that I’ve considered making it part of a boot script.

I’ll run it by the CCD team…

(I don’t think the problem is cursed profiles.)

I’ll also run this by this UPIA team:

On a related note, when UPIA fails, it’s very hard to see why unless you go to the trouble of running it via the command line. Is there a way for CCD to help show UPIA’s logs? That would be helpful for troubleshooting various issues where UPIA won’t launch, gets stuck, etc.

I suspect if you run the log collector tool (the same one from the ExManCmd days) you’ll get a better log, but would you, a developer, be able to read that log? I’m not sure.

That said, I think the logs are here:

Windows: C:\Users\user name\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\UPI\Log
macOS: /Users/user name/Library/Application Support/Adobe/UPI/Log/

I agree that the errors should show up in the Creative Cloud desktop app … you mean after a double-click install, right?

Mac: ~/Library/Logs/CreativeCloud/ACC/ACC.log

Win: C:\Users{user_name}\AppData\Local\Temp\CreativeCloud\ACC\ACC.log
or %LocalAppData%\Temp\CreativeCloud\ACC\ACC.lo

Naoki is probably right!

1 Like

The problem with UPIA failing to load a second CCX after installing anything persists with CCD v5.9. In fact, it’s worse as restarting CCD didn’t help.

I ran UPIA directly from the Terminal and found no output there either. Then I quit CCD again and tried via Terminal and this time UPIA logged “Segmentation fault: 11” - while at the same time opening CCD and allowing me to install the CCX.

Was that covered in our call this morning? I hope it was.

Mostly I’m jumping in on this thread to say that at least some of Greg’s issues will be resolved in the next CCD/UPIA release, it’s an intermittent communication problem between UPI and the Creative Cloud desktop app (CCD), expected in January. The workaround is restarting your machine…

Yes, same issue. I’ll report if I see issues, but I believe the forthcoming update resolves the problem.
Workaround for devs: just restart CCD if it won’t install a CCX (current version will install once and then ignores subsequent double-clicks on a CCX file)