How to get symbol master for symbol instance?

How can I get details for master symbol? I have symbol instance which might or might not have overrides but I need to get all details (entire layers structure) for the symbol master of the instance.

2 Likes

At the current state, you’d have to find the master symbol by checking the isMaster flag…

If I got it right symbol master might not exist on the scenegraph. As I understand it must be somewhere in assets section but I don’t see how to get them with api.

1 Like

Are there any updates on that? It seems that it’s still not possible to get master symbol/component if it’s not on a scene.

1 Like

As far as I know, you can’t access the master symbol through the APIs yet. CC: @afuchs

The Dev’s on my team and myself were just asking this question today. Can we pull the metadata of a “group” of layers that make up a component (say a button for instance)?

Would it be a good idea to have a getMasterComponent() method on the Symbol class?

var masterComponent = myComponentInstance.getMasterComponent();

Should I convert this to a feature request?

1 Like

For sure! We need a way to get master symbol instance. Checking isMaster flag is not an option as instance might be not on scenrgraph (as I mentioned above).

2 Likes

Have you converted this to a feature request by now? If so can you share the link so that I can upvote the request?

Added Feature request here: Provide access to master symbols

1 Like

Related:

In my tests it seems that I am always getting the master symbol when using the GUID but not able to get the instances or overrides.