Provide access to master symbols

How can we get details for master symbol? I have symbol instance which might or might not have overrides but I need to get all details (entire layers structure) for the symbol master of the instance.

In general it will be great to have ability to enumerate master symbols and other shared entities.

Feature request from How to get symbol master for symbol instance?

1 Like

How do we upvote here?
I would totally need this feature.

1 Like

@demianborba FYI ^^^

1 Like

Thanks for flagging Kerri.
Hi @gdreyv, can you please describe the workflows you’re trying to unlock in more details?

Hi @demianborba ,

as long as @gdreyv is not replying I would like to describe my use case.
I am working on a new plugin called Xray ("Design Debugger). We have talked about it last December.

The user can scan his document and get information about components. Organised by masters and instances and also grouped by component. This is what you can see in the screenshot.

Now what I want to do:

• When the master is deleted from the pasteboard/artboard there is no way to get information about the master component from which the instance originated.
  • I would like to name the groups (Group 1, Group 2 …) based on the master components name in the assets panel.

The solution would be to be able to collect information about the components in the assets panel. The same way that I can get information for colors and character styles.
So this but with components: assets · Adobe XD Plugin Reference

Screenshot from Xray:

1 Like

Thanks @plugisto Feedback taken.

I have another Use Case:
Even though components serve the purpose of centralizing information and not copying them,
there can alwalys be properties in components that are redundant. For instance i would like to implement a glöbal property value (e.g. text) search and replace tool that has the following options:

1. Search and replace in all Components and their States
    (where the property values have not been overwritten)
  2. Search and replace in all Component Instances and their States
    (where the property values have not been overwritten)
  3. Search and replace in all Artboard Names

For that i do not want to be forced to place all Component Masters on the Artboard
From another point of view: If you provide iterators over Color and Character Style, why not Component as well?

1 Like