Pattern of "valid" plugin ids

I’m currently developing a development tool for myself (automating a lot of things around multi-machine testing). I would like to check whether an id from a manifest.json is “valid”, i.e., if it fits the pattern generated on console.adobe.io.

For now, I check this with

/^[a-z0-9]+$/.test(manifest.id);

This fits all plugin IDs I currently have, but as I also want to release the tool (once finished) open-source and via npm, it would be great if someone from Adobe could confirm whether that’s valid, or if other chars than non-capital letters and digits can “exist” in an id.

Thank you very much in advance :+1:

A small description of what my tool does, if I’ve sparked someone’s curiosity :wink:

It allows for easy deployment of XD plugins onto multiple machines (even when on the development machine, XD isn’t installed) via a local network. It is therefore, so to speak, a multi-machine xdpm. It allows to develop on computer A (in my case Linux, meaning without XD installed) and then “auto-deploy” to macOS and Windows test machines, where they automatically get installed in XD and plugins automatically get reloaded on the test machine, allowing to quickly test plugins cross-platform… It also, potentially, could make it easy for IT Administration to easily install specific plugins on many machines.

All of that is based on NodeJS, works on all platforms and probably will, as all my Open-Source-Stuff, get released under the MIT-License.

1 Like

Isn’t it just a 32-bit unsigned value expressed in hex?

1 Like

@cpryland
I think you could be right about that, the plugin ids I’ve gotten would support that thesis… Could anybody from Adobe confirm this?

Thank you, @cpryland and thank you in advance to anyone from Adobe who might be able to confirm this :+1:

@afuchs or @kerrishotts Can either of you confirm this for @pklaschka?

1 Like

It’s an eight-digit string. I’m pretty sure it’s just hex digits, but I’m not familiar enough with the API on the backend to say for sure.

1 Like