Unable to load newly created UXP plugin

I just created a new plugin (using the ps-starter template) via the “Create Plugin…” button in the UXP developer tools. I was able to add the plugin to UXP dev tools, but unable to load it.

The APP LOGS panel has this error message:
Expected the icon to have 1X scaled file

I am trying to follow the “Creating your First Plugin” section of the guide:

Did I also need to add a file icon somewhere?

Welcome @Liz ! Creating a plugin using the ps-starter template in UDT should create an “icons” folder in your plugin folder as well automatically. Can you check that that was created?

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I do see an icons directory containing the following files:
dark@1x.png
dark@2x.png
light@1x.png
light@2x.png

I thought it may have been because the manifest file pointed to different files in the icon section:

"icons": [
        {
          "width": 32,
          "height": 32,
          "path": "icons/icon_D.png",
          "scale": [
          ],
          "theme": [
            "dark",
            "darkest"
          ],
          "species": [
            "generic"
          ]
        },
        {
          "width": 32,
          "height": 32,
          "path": "icons/icon_N.png",
          "scale": [
          ],
          "theme": [
            "lightest",
            "light"
          ],
          "species": [
            "generic"
          ]
        }
      ],

But even after renaming “icon_D.png” to “dark.png” and “icon_N.png” to “light.png” – it didn’t make a difference. Any other ideas?

Also, I was wondering does it matter where the location is of the plugin directory? i.e. Is there a special directory it needs to be created in?

There is no special directory where the plugin directory needs to be located. You shouldn’t have to rename those icons. Those icons are actually referencing the “panel” icons which don’t have to exist during development. The icons in the icon folder are for the plugin itself, rather than the panel.

Are you running Photoshop v22.0 or higher?

Ah got it. Thanks for the clarification on the “panel” icons. I’m running PhotoShop 23.1. I’m also on a Mac if that matters.

Those both should be fine. I’m running the same environment and seem to have no issues with that project. Just wondering- where is your project currently installed? Could you try deleting, reinstalling to see if you’re getting stopped on load still?

After deleting and reinstalling (and restarting PhotoShop as well as UXP dev tools) everything appears to be working! Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like