Adobe Console: Create patch release vs Add new version

Does anybody understand what is the difference between “Create patch release” for existing version vs Add new version in Adobe Developer Console (where we publish plugins)? Which way is the fastest one and doesn’t require several weeks of review? For now it’s really hard to release critical bug fixes with Console :frowning:

My expectation is that there’s no fundamental difference — both result in a version bump, and the review process is the same in that case. Maybe @ashryan has more info on this.

1 Like

This is correct. There’s no fundamental difference between the two.

Let me know the IDs for the plugins where you’ve seen multiple weeks of review time, and I’ll look into why it took so long. Our average turnaround time for Console review has been < 2 business days through 2021 thus far.

For the last few months of last year, there were multiple system outages which unfortunately impacted our review turnaround time, so if you submitted something between September and December, this may be why the process was slow.

Hmmm, it’s really weird to have 2 buttons which do exactly the same.
Plugin id is 108997b7. Version 0.7.33 was submitted on October 29 and released on December 4. Version 0.7.39 was submitted on March 25 and on March 30 I submitted a Patch because I thought it will be published right away.
Several days is too long for plugin review. New version might contain fix for really blocker bug which must be published immediately because it’s blocking our customers.
It will be great to have Patch release which will publish new version immediately without any review. And keep reviewing process for new Releases or new plugins.
Check the topic XD 33.0.12.8 crashes - Adobe XD / UXP Plugin API - Adobe Creative Cloud Developer Forums as example when we need to publish new version immediately.

1 Like

Console feedback

Hmmm, it’s really weird to have 2 buttons which do exactly the same.

I’ll pass your feedback to the Console team!

You’re also welcome to communicate with them directly here:
https://experienceleaguecommunities.adobe.com/t5/adobe-i-o-console/ct-p/adobe-io-console

Review turnaround time specifics

Version 0.7.33 was submitted on October 29 and released on December 4.

This (as well as the issue you link to) was unfortunately due to the prolonged system outage that I mentioned above which prevented all publishing.

We agree that this isn’t acceptable and have worked with various teams inside Adobe to make sure the developer impact was understood, with an aim to avoid this situation in the future.

Version 0.7.39 was submitted on March 25 and on March 30 I submitted a Patch

The March 25 submission came in right before a weekend + national holiday for our reviewers. I see they have responded to your March 30 submission.

Opportunities for improvement

We regret that the submission and review experience hasn’t lived up to your expectations. We are always working on evolving the system, policies, and process to protect the user experience with published plugins while optimizing the developer experience with submission and review, in that order.

I hear your point that sometimes patches would benefit from an expedited process. On one front, we want to enable expedited marketplace listing metadata updates (these currently trigger a full review, even if you haven’t updated code). This is currently more of a system limitation than a policy decision.

More specific to your point here, I believe we should explore how to distinguish between minor code fixes and larger changes; and for the minor changes, explore whether there’s a way to expedite approval without putting users at risk.

This exploration would be a longer-term effort, but if the potential downsides for the user can be controlled, implementing such a change would benefit both developers (shorter patch cycles) and our review team (fewer redundant reviews).

1 Like